The only merit I feel that the over-long, over-dull film Cast Away really has is that it suits my own personal needs for this week’s “Gimme 5” feature. So here it is: you are stranded on a remote island all by yourself. It’s just you alone and a bunch of coconuts. And ok, fine…I’ll throw Wilson on the island with you just to keep you company. What 5 DVD’s would you want packed in your knapsack? Or, to really stick with the Cast Away theme, which 5 DVD’s would you want preserved in one of your FedEx boxes?
And don’t worry about where your power/electricity is coming from. Just pretend it’s like that overly pretentious, style-over-substance TV show that just went off the air (Thank God) where things just popped up on the island without any reason or logic attached to it whatsoever. So what 5 movies could you not live without on this tropical haven all by yourself???
Gimme 5 Movies You Want With You on A Deserted Island!!!
I will start:
1. The Godfather (gotta have my Brando/Corleone fix)
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. Annie Hall Hannah & Her Sisters (this Woody film actually has an uplifting ending)
4. Scenes from A Marriage (not sure I’d survive without some Bergman)
5. It’s A Wonderful Life (to inspire me and keep me cool on those 95 degree days)